Reconstruction view of the Annuellars’ College

Back to Time Period
Reconstruction view of the Annuellars’ College

The Annuellars were the minor clergy employed by the cathedral to perform the daily masses commemorating the cathedral's wealthy patrons. In 1528 a small college was built to accommodate their eighteen members. It stood on the north side of the Close, and its site is now occupied by Nos 1-5 Cathedral Close. Recent archaeological survey has shown that much of the college remains, embedded in later housing. The view shows a reconstruction of its appearance before the Reformation.

Acknowledgments: R. Parker and P. Bishop, Exeter Archaeology