Glass panel of an angel by the Exeter Cathedral Master

Back to Time Period
Glass panel of an angel by the Exeter Cathedral Master

The panel shows a standing angel, wearing a feathered suit of 15th-century sort and holding a censer. The figure displays characteristic features of work of the Exeter glaziers' workshop of the late 15th century, sometimes described as the 'Doddiscombsleigh school'. Detailed points of similarity indicate that this is very closely related to the elaborate polychrome lights provided for Exeter Cathedral Chapter House in the years c. 1460-70. These now form elements of the Cathedral's great east window, and the east window of the chapel of St John the Evangelist, having been removed there in the 18th century. These have been the subject of detailed study by C. Brooks and D. Evans in their book The Great East Window of Exeter Cathedral (1988). They attribute this specific group to 'the Exeter Cathedral Master', whose true name is now lost.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum