A capital from the Guildhall facade

Back to Time Period
A capital from the Guildhall facade

The capital is one of the group of architectural fragments salvaged from the front of the Guildhall during an extensive restoration programme in 1970-1. The city's Receiver's Accounts of 1594 record that these capitals were commissioned from a specialist carver named Arnold Hamlyn at 6s 8d (34p) each. Examination of the small and discoloured patches of colour on the capitals shows that they were first primed red, then painted in alternating layers of red and white, then gilded and later re-gilded.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum Exeter City Council