St David’s Church

Back to Time Period
St David’s Church

A neo-Classical church was provided for St David's parish in 1819, replacing a ruined medieval parish church. The new building was designed by the County Surveyor, James Green. It was known in Victorian times as 'the pepperbox church', reflecting the change of taste against works in this style and in favour of gothic. It stood until 1899, when it was replaced by the present St David's church, designed by Caroe.

The print shows the church around 1830.