Doors of the High School

Back to Time Period
Doors of the High School

These complex doors of oak came from the Exeter Free Grammar School, which stood on the High Street close to the Eastgate. The site is now occupied by River Island. With their radiating 'shell' motif head, row of face-masks and stud-like motifs, the doors are especially similar to the door of Nos 10-11 Cathedral Close, and more generally to Nicholas Baggett's door to the Guildhall. It has been claimed that they date to 1593 but they may equally belong to the foundation of the Grammar School in 1633.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum

Share on Facebook