Set of fire buckets from the Conduit

Back to Time Period
Set of fire buckets from the Conduit

In 1795 the city commissioned a set of leather buckets, with lettering and decoration in gold, for the conduit. By this time the old medieval conduit which had stood in the middle of Fore Street had been demolished, and the buckets must have served the new conduit in South Street. This was itself demolished in 1799, when a third conduit house was built further down South Street.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum