The Dean and Chapter’s fire engine

Back to Time Period
The Dean and Chapter’s fire engine

This is a 'Newsam engine'. It was wheeled to a fire, then buckets of water were poured into a lead-lined trough within the lower part of the carriage. Furious pumping by pairs of men pulling up and down each of the horizontal bars projected water from a leather hose.

The fire engine was bought by the Dean & Chapter of the Cathedral in 1771.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum