A five pound note of the Devonshire Bank

Back to Time Period
A five pound  note of the Devonshire Bank

The Devonshire Bank formerly stood in Cathedral Yard close to St Petrock's church. It was established around 1816, adopting the name from a previous bank which had closed a few years earlier. This note, with its depiction of Rougemont Castle, was issued in 1818. The bank collapsed in 1820, leaving the notes worthless, so they are less rare than other Exeter bank notes.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum