The Garton and King hammer

Back to Time Period
The Garton and King hammer

This wooden claw hammer used to hang from a cast iron bracket outside the premises of the ironmongers Garton and King at 190 High Street. A hammer shop sign is known to have been used by the firm as early at 1768, and is referred to in a local poem; the sign shown here was displayed outside several premises before being replaced by an aluminium replica.

Garton and King owes its origin to Samuel Kingdon, a prosperous ironmonger, known as 'Iron Sam'.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum

Share on Facebook