Glass from the hospital chapel

Back to Time Period
Glass from the hospital chapel

In Victorian times there was much concern to address the spiritual needs of those in hospital, and Exeter was an exception. A chapel in Gothic style was added to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital in Southernhay in 1868. The building was financed by Arthur Kempe, a surgeon.

The roundel forms part of a group of stained glass added to the chapel later in the 19th century by the local firm Frederick Drake and Sons. The Nativity is depicted. The chapel was demolished in 1975 when the museum salvaged the chapel's glass.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum