Fragment of a sculpture of the Virgin and Child

Back to Time Period
Fragment of a sculpture of the Virgin and Child

This small sculpture, carved in Beer stone, is the central portion of a sculpture of the Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus. The Virgin’s hand supports the Infant’s body, most of which is lost. The curving draperies are characteristic of the early- and mid-14th century.

The fragment was found in demolition rubble at Polsloe Priory; it must have formed part of an image which was smashed when the Priory was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum