Exeter in 1820

Back to Time Period
Exeter in 1820

By 1820 most people still lived within the enclosure of the city wall but by this time the fine brick terraces of Southernhay, Barnfield and Colleton Crescent, outside the walls, were largely built. The suburbs of St Sidwell’s, spreading along the turnpike roads to Bristol (via Broadclyst) and Tiverton (via Stoke Canon) had also seen much growth.

Many of the city’s industries continued to operate close to the river, often still powered by the water of the leats. Outlying new developments included the new Cavalry Barracks (1790s) and County Gaol to the north, Trews Weir mill to the south (1780).

Source: Kain, R. and Ravenhill, W. (eds) 1999, 'Historical Atlas of South-West England'.