St Martin’s Church

Back to Time Period
St Martin’s Church

According to a late medieval document, St Martin’s church, at the corner of Cathedral Close and Catherine Street, was founded in 1065. An important discovery made in the 1980s and 1990s was the recognition that the surviving church, which was previously believed to date to the later middle ages, is in large part Anglo-Saxon, and presumably the church of 1065. It has a simple plan of two cells (rooms), the masonry being largely of local volcanic rubble.

Acknowledgments: © 2015 Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter City Council