Chain of office

Back to Time Period
Chain of office

The Exeter and District Grocer’s Association was a society for local shopkeepers at which they could discuss items of importance, and socialise. This chain of office was worn by the elected President at such meetings and events. It is a very grand item made from silver-gilt with two enamel pendants. The larger pendant depicts the City Arms for Exeter and the City’s motto ‘Semper Fidelis’.

On the links of the chain are the names of the Presidents and the years which they served, between the years 1925-63. One name is missing - the last President. Despite several years of service Mr Gordon Cam’s name was never added to the chain as all the links had been filled. Mr and Mrs Cam ran the convenience store ‘A Cam and sons’ on Dunsford Road in Exeter. While this business no longer exists the site is still a local convenience store.