The site of the Pancras Lane mosaic

Back to Time Period
The site of the Pancras Lane mosaic

In 1887 during the building of the Police Station in Waterbeer Street a Roman corridor mosaic was found. It caused great interest and was lifted and re-laid at the entrance to the building. Upon the demolition of the Police Station in the late 1960s the mosaic was re-buried.

The photograph shows the Police Station (right of centre) in the early 20th century.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum