Fragments of a late Norman arcade

Back to Time Period
Fragments of a late Norman arcade

Fragments of a very richly ornamented late Norman arcade (series of arches) of Caen limestone, imported from Normandy, were found in 1935 at the junction of Cedars Road and Topsham Road where they had been re-used and incorporated in an old wall. Such elaborate work could only have been commissioned by one of the leading churches of Norman Exeter - either the cathedral or St Nicholas Priory.

In 2001 the museum commissioned the local sculptor Ben Jones to complete the arch with new carvings (left), showing the form of the ornament when intact.

The original work dates to c. 1150-75 and probably formed an internal furnishing in the church.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum