The Entrance to the Bishop’s Palace

Back to Time Period
The Entrance to the Bishop’s Palace

The oldest parts of the Bishop's Palace are the remnants of a grand aisled hall with stone walls and timber arcades dating to c. 1170-1200. In this early 19th-century engraving by Keenan and Storer, the principal doorway, visible within a later medieval porch, retains its late Norman chevron (zig-zag) decoration. This is the only house still standing in Devon which dates from the Norman period.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum