The Minstrels’ Gallery

Back to Time Period
The Minstrels’ Gallery

The drawing by Charles Pinn was made in 1886. The gallery was added to the cathedral nave in the years c. 1335-45, providing an angelic host who would conceal real musicians playing at cathedral's great festivals. The gallery is an important source of information about the sorts of musical instruments known in the 14th century in England.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum