The Cathedral Chapter House

Back to Time Period
The Cathedral Chapter House

The Chapter House was the room in which the cathedral clergy would meet to discuss their business and duties. It was first built in the period 1225-50, and the lower walls belong to that time. Following a fire in the early 15th century the upper parts of the room were rebuilt in Perpendicular style, and the fine roof belongs to this period. This view, taken from Winkles' Cathedrals series, shows the Chapter House in c. 1840 when it housed the cathedral library.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum