Reconstruction view of the College of Vicars Choral

Back to Time Period
Reconstruction view of the College of Vicars Choral

The Vicars Choral were the junior clergy of the cathedral who sang the many daily services in its choir. In the years 1383-88 Bishop Brantingham built for them this college, where each was allocated a lodging, and where their lives could be more closely supervised. The college was squeezed into a narrow site between the Deanery (right) and St Mary Major church (top left). The rows of lodgings were demolished in stages between 1850 and 1893; the hall in South Street stood until 1942, when it was burnt in the Exeter Blitz. Only the ruined shell of the hall survives today.

Acknowledgments: R.Parker, Exeter Archaeology