Two late 13th–century finger rings worn by nuns

Back to Time Period
Two late 13th–century finger rings worn by nuns

These two humble rings of copper alloy (probably bronze), with traces of gilding which would make them appear golden, were found at Polsloe Priory in an archaeological context dating to c. 1300. They must have been worn by nuns. Instead of semi-precious stones, the settings hold cheap glass paste.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum Exeter Archaeology