Medieval floor tiles

Back to Time Period
Medieval floor tiles

WRONG IMAGE In the late 13th century a local tile factory was set up in Devon, producing elaborate floor tiles for the cathedral and other wealthy patrons. These were made in local red earthenware, into which an impression was stamped and then infilled with white clay. The tiles were then lead-glazed. The tilery operated at least until c.1350. The view shows a reconstruction from loose tiles of part of the pavement at Polsoe Priory, c.1300-30. They include the wheel of St Catherine, to whom the Priory was dedicated, and Sagittarius, her birth sign.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum