The Quay in circa 1605

Back to Time Period
The Quay in circa 1605

This watercolour by J. Brayne shows the river Exe in the foreground, the city wall and Water Gate in the distance, with Higher Leat on the left. In the left foreground is the artificial mole called Little Island, constructed in the 1560s to prevent the quay silting up. In the basin are small lighters, the largest vessels which could use the canal at this time. To the right, beside the dock, is Quay House (? 1598) with ancillary buildings set back from the large new quay to its right, built c. 1600.

Acknowledgments: Exeter Archaeology

Share on Facebook