229 High Street

Back to Time Period
229 High Street

No. 229 High Street was perhaps the grandest of all Exeter town houses. In origin a medieval building, it was largely rebuilt in 1584-6, when it was furnished with fine plasterwork and woodwork. The house was demolished in 1930. One room was sold to William Randolph Hearst, the American newspaper tycoon, and later passed to the Nelson Atkins Museum, Kansas City, where it can still be seen. A second room from the house made its way to the De Young Museum of San Francisco, from which it was bought by our museum in 2001.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum

Share on Facebook