The Chevalier Inn, Fore Street

Back to Time Period
The Chevalier Inn, Fore Street

Painted in 1833 by R. Brown, this pair of town houses was built in the early 17th century. They show the elaborately carved wooden frontages, with projecting oriels and much glass, fashionable before the Civil War. The two properties subsequently became the Chevalier Inn, named after the earthenware roof-tile with a modelled horse-and-rider finial on the gable of No. 79. They were destroyed in the Blitz of 1942.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum