William Peckitt’s Great West Window at Exeter Cathedral

Back to Time Period
William Peckitt’s Great West Window at Exeter Cathedral

Following the appointment of Dean Lyttleton, an enthusiast for the middle ages, in 1748, Exeter cathedral set about a series of improvements. In 1764 attention turned to the great west window of the nave. William Peckitt of York, the leading glass-painter of his day, was commissioned to provide the glazing. This was one of the most ambitious and costly projects of its day in Britain; it was completed in 1767. It portrayed standing apostles and saints, with the coats of arms of cathedral dignitaries and the Devon families who sponsored the work.

This hand-tinted pen-and-ink drawing of the window, painted by William Peckitt, shows the original colour scheme, which decayed subsequently. The window was removed in 1906.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum