The Bedford Chapel

Back to Time Period
The Bedford Chapel

The Bedford Chapel formed the centrepiece of the southern crescent of Bedford Circus. It was built in 1832 as a proprietary chapel during the cholera epidemic. By the time it was erected the fashion for plain brick had been replaced by that for stucco. The unusual theatre-like design had the altar at the west end. The Chapel was severely damaged in the Blitz of 1942 and was subsequently demolished in 1946.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum