Royal Albert Memorial Museum Art Gallery

Back to Time Period
Royal Albert Memorial Museum  Art Gallery

Initially proposed by Sir Stafford Northcote as a practical memorial to Prince Albert, an appeal fund was launched in 1861 and the first phases of the Museum were completed by 1868. The Devon and Exeter Albert Memorial, as it was originally known, provided an integrated museum, art gallery, library, reading room, school of art and school of science in the manner long advocated by Prince Albert.

In 1899, York Wing was opened by the Duke and Duchess of York, (later King George V and Queen Mary), and at the same time the title of Royal Albert Memorial was granted.

The building has changed little since then although the city library moved out of the Museum in 1930, the school of science ultimately developed into Exeter University and the school of art is now Plymouth University's Faculty of Art & Education