St John’s and the High Street

Back to Time Period
St John’s and the High Street

The old medieval building of St John's Hospital on High Street was adapted in 1633 to serve as the home if the new Free Grammar School. Boys were taught there; the school moved from the High Street in the late 19th century and survives today as Exeter School. John Gendall's drawing shows the school (to the left) at the end of the 18th century.