The cloth market in the cathedral cloisters

Back to Time Period
The cloth market in the cathedral cloisters

Having disbanded the cathedral's Dean and Chapter, the city chamber decided in the 1650s to pull down the their medieval cloisters as they no longer served any purpose. In 1657 the city decided to put the area to practical use by building a new cloth market there. It consisted of long first-floor rooms supported by timber posts above an open ground floor. The reconstruction shows the form of the building as it first appeared.

Acknowledgments: Exeter City Council