The cloister today

Back to Time Period
The cloister today

Having disbanded the cathedral's Dean and Chapter, the city chamber decided in the 1650s to pull down the their medieval cloisters as they no longer served any purpose. In 1657 the city decided to put the area to practical use by building a new cloth market there.

The view is taken from the cathedral's south tower and shows at its centre the remaining portion of the Tudor cloth hall. The Georgian houses to the right and Victorian library to the left replaced other parts of the market.

Acknowledgments: Exeter City Council