Stukeley’s map of Exeter of 1723

Back to Time Period
Stukeley’s map of Exeter of 1723

Isca Dumnoniorum 19 Aug. 1723 drawn by William Stukeley, engraved by Parker © Westcountry Studies Library, Devon Libraries

The map was published by the antiquary William Stukeley and engraved by Parker. It shows the spread of the built-up area into St David's (left), St Sidwell's (top), Exe Island (bottom) and the Friars. The tree-lined walks laid out on the sites of the old city ditches in Southernhay and Northernhay are also shown.

Acknowledgments: The Westcountry Studies Library