The Devon and Exeter Hospital

Back to Time Period
The Devon and Exeter Hospital

The building of the Devon and Exeter Hospital was a great milestone in medical practice in South West England. It was begun in 1740 under the initiative of the Dean of Exeter, Alured Clarke, and a local worthy named John Tuckfield; it was one of the first provincial hospitals in Britain. The building developed by stages; the engraving shows its appearance in the late 18th century. It still stands today in Southernhay.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum