The front of the Custom House

Back to Time Period
The front of the Custom House

The Custom House, built by the city in 1680-1 and designed by the north Devon builder Richard Allen, formed the centrepiece of the newly-remodelled quayside. It served to accommodate both the royal customs officials and the city's own customs staff. It reflected the great commercial growth of the late 17th century and is the oldest Custom House standing in Britain.

Acknowledgments: D. Garner, RAM Museum