Cartouche from the Guildhall picture frames

Back to Time Period
Cartouche from the Guildhall picture frames

Following the city’s acquisition of the large paintings of Princess Henrietta Anne and General Monk after the Restoration of Charles II in 1660, new picture frames were provided for them at the Guildhall. The frames were richly carved with bunches of foliage and surmounted with swags and cartouches. They were removed from the Guildhall in the late 19th century, when such work was little regarded.

The cartouche shows the triple-towered castle of the city on the traditional background of black and red.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum