Old houses on Exe Bridge

Back to Time Period
Old houses on Exe Bridge

The painting, by the local artist E. Jeffery, is dated 1832. It shows houses on old Exe Bridge, with the tower of the church of St Edmund to the left. The arches of the bridge of c. 1200 are visible above the River Exe. The houses were built after c. 1660, replacing those destroyed in the Civil War. They were demolished in Victoria's reign.

They illustrate the traditional form of Exeter houses at the beginning of this period with jettied fronts, soon to be replaced by flat brick fronts in the manner of London.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum