The Quay in 1676

Back to Time Period
The Quay in 1676

Exeter Quay c.1676, 1986 by Jayne Brayne © Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter

When compared to the quayside in the early 17th century a number of modest changes are visible in this watercolour by J. Brayne, notably additional buildings around Quay House and the stone revetment to Little Island. The latter was one of the improvements of 1676 which also included the extension of the canal from Countess Wear downstream to Topsham, with a new basin at its entrance.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum