The Quay in 1690

Back to Time Period
The Quay in 1690

Reconstruction drawing of Exeter Quay c.1690 by Jayne Brayne © Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter

In 1680 the quay was transformed. The fine brick Custom House was built, Quay House was built on a much larger scale, fronted by a narrow dock, and the quay wall remodelled. This watercolour reconstruction by J. Brayne shows these changes in c. 1690.

Acknowledgments: Exeter Archaeology