The Quay in c 1720–40

Back to Time Period
The Quay in c 1720–40

Reconstruction drawing of Exeter Quay c.1740 (and earlier) by Jayne Brayne © Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter

In 1698-1701 the canal was deepened, allowing sea-going ships (foreground) to reach the Quay. The little dock which had been fronted by the Quay House was infilled and the waterfront remodelled. This watercolour reconstruction by J. brayne shows these changes.

Acknowledgments: Exeter Archaeology