The Water Engine

Back to Time Period
The Water Engine

To meet the growing demand for water, the city commissioned a new water supply, drawn from the Exe, in 1694. A water engine was constructed over the New Mill Leat (now the junction of Exe Street and Bonhay Road, close to the present 'Mill on the Exe'). Water drawn up by the engine was pumped into pipes which ran up Exe Street and into a large reservoir at the back of the Guildhall, whence it was distributed around the city.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum