Pinbrook House

Back to Time Period
Pinbrook House

Built by the merchant Sir John Elwill in 1679, Pinbrook House was one of the largest and earliest of the new houses built by wealthy Exeter people in the years after the Civil War. It is an important early example of brick building in Devon. The symmetrical façade with its plat bands (projecting horizontal strips of brick between the storeys) preserves its original windows. The house was briefly studied by Exeter Archaeology in the course of its conversion to new use in 1979.

Acknowledgments: Exeter Archaeology