A panel from William Musgrave’s tomb

Back to Time Period
A panel from William Musgrave’s tomb

Upon his death in 1721 William Musgrave was buried in the churchyard of St Leonard's church. On one side of the tomb chest was an inscription on slate, flanked by two pairs of marble panels. These were admired in the 19th century and retained when the tomb chest was dismantled, eventually being transferred to the RAM Museum.The panel shows a scene of healing; the invalid is on the left, with his crutch and bandaged leg. Another panel alludes to Dr Musgrave's antiquarian interests.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum