The Cricklepit Dryhouse

Back to Time Period
The Cricklepit Dryhouse

The Dryhouse, built around 1700 near Cricklepit on Commercial Road, is a timber-framed building in which cloth would be hung out to dry after it had been fulled (pounded in water or urine) in fulling stocks at the rear of Cricklepit Mill.

It is a two-storey building with open sides, allowing the air to circulate freely round the cloth. The photograph shows the building clad with corrugated iron in 1996.

Acknowledgments: Exeter Archaeology