Higher Barracks; the survey by Exeter Archaeology

Back to Time Period
Higher Barracks; the survey by Exeter Archaeology

Higher Barracks, recently re-named 'Horseguards', were built in 1794 for cavalry soldiers. The site, enclosed by a brick wall, was a long rectangle sloping down to Howell Road, then called Barrack Road. At the top of the plot was the Officers' Quarters Building, with barracks facing each other across the green below. Around the long parade ground lower down the site were a hospital, stables, guard house, canteen etc, and other ancillary buildings. Although the officers' quarters and one barrack were replaced after fire in Victoria's reign, many of the Georgian buildings still stand.

Acknowledgments: Exeter Archaeology