The railway at St David’s

Back to Time Period
The railway at St David’s

William Spreat's print shows the original St David's station, built by the Hoopers in Pennyroyal Fields in 1844. The lines to Newton Abbot, Dawlish and Crediton were opened by 1851. Tourists began to arrive in Exeter from about 1850, especially from the Midlands. Day excursions for people of all classes further boosted trade.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum