The railway at St David’s

Back to Time Period
The railway at St David’s

The print by George Townsend shows the developments later in Victoria's reign, when the viaduct and tunnel linked St David's to Central Station. The line extended to Yeovil and Salisbury, opening in 1860. The branch line to Exmouth followed in 1861.

The new St David's station completed June 1864 was regarded in its day as one of the finest in England.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum