A group of four floor tiles from the cathedral

Back to Time Period
A group of four floor tiles from the cathedral

The medieval cathedral had pavements of red earthenware tiles with inlaid patterns in white clay. By the Victorian period these had become sadly worn and damaged. Admiring their design, Gilbert Scott commissioned modern replicas during the restoration programme of 1870-7.

The four tiles shown here copy one of the medieval patterns of the cathedral, but they were produced by industrial processes and are very different in finish from the medieval originals. Here as elsewhere, Scott was supplied by the firm of Godwin of Leintwardine (Hereford and Worcester).

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum