The Clifton Hill brickworks

Back to Time Period
The Clifton Hill brickworks

Bricks had been made in Exeter since the late 17th century (and previously in Roman times). The early sites were close to the centre of the city and were abandoned as the suburbs grew around them.

By the 19th century the largest works were in Newtown. There were four in the area around Clifton Hill, including Sparkes' and Phillips' towards Blackboy Road, and the Workhouse Works towards Polsloe Road. The conical structures in the foreground of William Spreat's engraving of c. 1850 are some of their kilns. One of their sites is occupied by the Clifton Hill Sports Centre.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum