St Sidwell’s Board School: a model Victorian School

Back to Time Period
St Sidwell’s Board School: a model Victorian School

St Sidwell's School was built in the mid 1850s, and in its day was regarded as a model of good practice. With it's big windows, large school room and bell turret, it shows some of the features which were later adopted by the Board schools of the 1870s. At the time, following the Elementary Education Act 1870, primary schools were reorganised and many new schools provided. Such schools taught 'order, punctuality, ready obedience, thrift and neatness, as well as the 3 Rs'.

Spreat's engraving shows St Sidwell's when newly built. It was the first primary school to serve the parish, although some local children had received some form of education in the parich since the late 17th century.

Acknowledgments: RAM Museum