St Petrock’s church

Back to Time Period
St Petrock’s church

St Petrock’s church stands close to the centre of Exeter’s High Street. Its origins are not known, but it was certainly in existence by the 1190s. The view shows the side of the church visible from High Street. The lower parts of the church would probably date to the 12th or 13th centuries. Houses formerly stood in front of the church, and access was through a passageway to the doorway seen in the view; these were demolished in 1905. The nave was heightened in the 15th century when the tower was also added.

In the later Middle Ages and early modern period this was one of the city’s richest parishes, reflecting the fashion for rich people to live at the centre of the city.

Acknowledgments: Exeter Archaeology